Thursday 14 March 2013

Apparent Essentials

What does my baby actually really need?

And I don't mean what WE think they need or what society thinks they need... but rather what do they actually need. I was looking online today at different lists of what people think our new born babies need and I am talking about the first 4 weeks of life. Obviously they need the clothes, nappies, bottles, somewhere to sleep but do they really need, at 4 weeks old, a high chair? Don't get me wrong obviously little children do need high chairs but my sister has a nearly 3 month old baby and she isn't in a high chair yet so why would my baby need one.

I was joking with my mother recently about one of us as a baby sleeping in a drawer when we were younger and I am sure none of us would have minded at all. As babies we don't care what we sleep in as long as we are loved, hugged, fed and taken care of, it's when this stops that I think we scream. People keep asking me what we have ready for the baby and are we all ready for the baby and sometimes I think "No we are definitely not ready" but on the other hand when I looked at all the lists today (minus the stupid high chair) it's actually stuff for ME that we have missing and not things for the baby. Sure we don't have a cot yet but we do have a Moses basket so it's not like she is going to sleep on the floor.

Maybe I should get one of these?
Hopefully over next week Hubble will be able to get the baby room sorted so we can start thinking about decorating (Hubble obviously not me, because of stupid paint) and putting a carpet down oh and yeah we should probably think about putting a door on too. So baby has a bed, clothes, something to be cleaned in, nappies and a breast pump should I need it, and she will get all the love she needs plus a little more. I need a changing mat and possibly a bottle warmer - but again bottle warmer isn't an essential it's just something I think I would like to make things easier for me at night time. Seeing my sister struggle with the microwave and kettle all the time makes me really want a bottle warmer but I could live without it. Like my mum said "We didn't have them in my day but I still managed anyway" so there you go.

What did you get your baby that you realised you didn't need and kept it in a box for the first weeks or months?

What didn't you buy your baby that you realised you needed at midnight and had to rush out and get?

No comments:

Post a Comment