Tuesday 12 March 2013

Oz the Okay and Powerless

Adam and I went to see Oz the Great and Powerful on Friday but I left the cinema feeling more okay and powerless. It wasn't that great at all but I'm not sure why. Just something didn't stick with me. I think the reason people went to see it is because it was pushed forward by the actors starring in it, such as James Franco, Mila Klunis, Michelle Williams and Rachel Weisz, and its predecessor, The Wizard of Oz made starring Judy Garland in 1939.

It started the same way The Wizard of Oz does, in black and white, then when Oz reaches the land of Oz (in exactly the same way Dorothy does) it changes into colour. However, I think because this already happened in The Wizard of Oz I was definitely expecting it to happen. So, because two things had been copied from the first film I was just waiting for a lot more things to come up that would be copied from the first film which made the film lose it's element of awe and wonder. For the rest of the film I just watched wondering how it would end.


The acting was, interesting. Like I said I can't quite put a finger on why the film just didn't cut it for me, maybe I just love the original Wizard of Oz even though the new film is made as a prequel to The Wizard of Oz. Put it this way the best acting throughout the whole film was done by the porcelain doll and the assistant monkey; both of which were CGI. May I add that Adam and I went home after watching Oz the Great and Powerful and watched The Wizard of Oz and the assistant monkey is actually on the wicked Witch of the West's side and not Oz's side so it might have been interesting to put in the prequel (Oz the Great and Powerful) how the monkey becomes evil.

Rachel Weisz was beautiful but seemed a little awkward, however, this could be because I've never seen her in a role like this before but I am glad she is broadening her acting horizons in becoming an evil witch. I have a thing for Rachel Weisz in that I love all of her films so I wanted to love this one, but I just couldn't.

Mila Klunis is good in the beginning as a good witch, but then something happens and she turns wicked and you'd think a beautiful woman like her could do evil 'witch' really well, but she couldn't. I saw wrath and scorn she did scorn like no other woman but even then it just wasn't that convincing to me and her make up looked very odd. I usually like Mila Klunis too but for some reason she just wasn't doing anything for me.


Adam said that he really enjoyed the film but it has to be said that Adam hadn't seen the original before the new film so that could have had an influence on why he liked the film or not. I just couldn't get past the thought that so much of it was like the old Wizard of Oz film. I haven't read any reviews on the film nor have I asked other people their opinion on it but what I would say is that you should go see it just to say you've seen it and have your own opinion on it but don't be surprised if you leave feeling a little deflated about it. You may want to go home and watch the old Wizard of Oz film too just to make you feel better.

Oh, and to make matters a little worse I have been informed by the beloved that there is another film due to come out in the next couple of years, so let's see how that one turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment